Beta Flight National

"I am so very proud of Mike, and to a lesser degree, Scott"

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Beyond the five glories

Friday, I stopped by the video game store, picked up the just-released Sims 2 and NHL 2005, said "Fuck off, outside world!" and didn't home out of my house until Monday morning. It was glorious.

And yet, it occurs to me that this kind of thing doesn't seem to fit with any of the Five Glories. It's not warrior pursuits. It's not romance. It's not shitting. It's not gluttony. It's kind of slothful, so it might be related to sleeping, the fifth glory. But I don't know.

What I'm starting to wonder is whether we might not have overlooked a possible sixth glory having to do with recreation. For me, it might be computer games, but for Scott, it might be pinball or pool.

And a further point to ponder: What about camaraderie? I think this is essentially what made our old ritual of watching Raw so enjoyable. But was it glorious? Or something less?

Finally, on a completely unrelated note, I was just careless about closing off that curtain to my private area and I think Toula might have just seen me naked. That's not glory. That's ignominy.

2 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I don't know... you'd hate to water down the glories too much. I'm still upset about "The Five Glories" not sounding as cool as "The Four Glories". FOUR GLOR! FOUR GLOR! Doesn't that sound good?

I do really like those other things you mentioned though.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Peter Lynn said...

I'm also concerned about watering down the Glories. It's a difficult situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home